Tuesday, October 30, 2012

I'm Cool With Average

Okay people. I know this is for a professional class but I've decided that the vast majority of my life has been spent processing and passing information. And because of this I have chosen to toss caution to the wind and incorporate who I am as a person into my academic learning process without the fear of being labeled as shallow. That's the funny part. At 43, I'm cool with average. "AVERAGE IS OKAY."  Why aren't there t'shirts for that slogan? Average is underatted. Average people are the ones that encourage excellence in other people; we make them better by being average. Why must we ALWAYS strive to be the best? And who really determines "the best?" I guess that's a part of me that has been eroded away with time. The idea that I  need to be the best at whatever I do is nolonger appealing to me. I simply want to be average. I want to enjoy my life. Live it on my own terms. I want to learn from other people. Things that wil help my average life better. Not by getting more things; I have things. Not getting by. But better by enhancing who I am as a person. When was the last time your life was enhanced? Think about it.  Not motivated, not encouraged, not forced, not pushed into. but really enhanced?  What happenes when we become the best anyway? I think we shrivel and waste away because the people that gave us that label, found other people more worthy to bestow the title on. Sometimes I wonder do other people want to live average lives? We no longer know how to live simply.  Case and point:

I started reading the Little House Series to my nine-year-old daughter last month.  I can't tell who was more into it, me or her!  I was so excited when it was time to read it to her that if she fell asleep early, I kept reading.  Now, mind you, I had read the book in elementary school, watched the series in middle school and watched Highway To Heaven as an adult, so I knew the storyline.  But each time I read from the book it was like, "Man, what have we done? Why are we so consumed with driving the best cars, living in the biggest houses, driving our kids to these overpriced daycares? What's up with that? Where did that idea come from?" Yea, the book triggered my thinking as to how hard I was working to be "the best" when all along I want to be average. So this blog is my "church testimony," my "AA speech, my "whatever you call it moment". It's my moment to say:

          "I'M COOL WITH AVERAGE!"

No comments:

Post a Comment