Sunday, November 4, 2012

ETEC 561 Fall 2012: Section 1: Defining the Field

STIMPSON POST 2:     IDT (Instructional Design and Technology)
Chapter One:
Based on the assigned readings for last week, educational technology is constantly evolving.  I believe because it is constantly evolving, so too do our definitions. My definition of educational technology requires the user to take individual accountability as to what he or she needs and his or her overall outcome goal. Educational technology is also the ability to utilize technology to improve and or enhance learning. Its primary goal is to fill in the gaps by way of its approaches and methods. My definition has been shaped by my classroom experiences. Many students are simply taught the basics components and are not encouraged to master what they are learning.  In some cases students are simply constantly repeating the same steps week after week without ever fully understanding how those steps are there to lead you bigger and better ways of doing things.  After reading the chapter, I now understand how   important it is to incorporate the learner in my definition. Because it is evolving, everyone may or may not be on the same page. As an instructor it should become my mission to focus on not only the learning goals, but technology that will reinforce learning for some and enhance learning for all.

Chapter Two:
As a middle school librarian I develop supplementary lessons for all subjects and grade levels. They range from ESL, Life Skills, Resource, Pre-AP to General Ed. classes. One campus wide lesson was to commemorate Constitution Week.  While I received praises for the lesson and the use of technology, as it was creative, colorful and appealing, after this weeks’ reading, I realized it was not designed correctly nor was it fully developed. I failed to take into consideration step one: analyze the learner.
I made one presentation for all students and did not take the time to realize the learning styles and instructional methods. Had I done this, I would have received more positive student feedback.  In the future I will redesign the lesson to be based on the learning needs of each individual group, check state subject guidelines for the content requirements and then incorporate more hands-on activities for student learners.
Chapter Three:
I believe Reiser excludes these as they are traditional methods used for learning that may or may not be around in future learning.  As technology has advanced so too has its method of instruction.  For example, chalkboards were replaced whiteboards. White boards are now being replaced with Smartboards making chalkboards obsolete.  With the ever expansion of the internet to include books, to a certain extent there is no longer any use for tangible textbooks.  Educational technology allows for learning to take place wherever the learner is without access to the above mentioned things.  Teachers, chalkboards, textbooks, etc. are simply items to encourage learning.  They may or may not really instruct. I believe teachers are there to provide access to learning.  In some cases there is no guarantee that the learner is really learning from the teacher but the access that they are given by way technology. In 2012, I believe it is imperative to incorporate technological media into instruction because it is the way many students learn. Since learning is adaptable, so too should instruction based on educational technology.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Eularia.

    I enjoyed reading your post and like the fact that you acknowledge how each individual experience affects a person's definition of instructional technology and its purpose. Also, technology is wonderful, but without taking the appropriate approaches to using it, the learning experience could be comprimised or less effective than planned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eularia,
    It is vital to consider the learner in any lesson planning, but that is the beauty with media. Media addresses all types of learning styles with small tweaks here and there. Middle school is the greatest age level to be a librarian. I am over K-12, and I wish I could just focus on one age group. But, it does make me grow in regards to instructional technology. I am so encouraged that you are willing to grow for your students.

    Diane Ramsay

    ReplyDelete