Sunday, November 18, 2012

ETEC 561 Fall 2012: Section 3: Evaluating, Implementing and Managing I...



Bloom’s Taxonomy
Benjamin Bloom, an educational psychologist, found that over 95% of test questions students encountered required them to think only at the lowest possible level. Bloom felt like students were simply stuck at simply the recalling information.  He then identified six levels within the cognitive domain.  From the simple recall or recognition of facts, as the lowest level, through increasingly more complex and abstract mental levels, to the highest order which is classified as evaluation.

The Levels are as follows:
1.       Knowledge:  In this level students are simply required to recall information. This is the level at which most students are instructed. In this stage students arrange, define, duplicate, label, list, memorize, name, order, recognize, relate, recall, repeat, and reproduce state.
2.  Comprehension:  In this level students begin the process for true learning.  It is in this stage that students begin to classify, describe, discuss, explain, express, identify, indicate, locate, recognize, report, restate, review, select and translate.
3.  Application: In this level students apply what they have learned.  It is the goal of this stage for students to take not only what they have learned, but also what they have discovered.  This level allows students to choose, demonstrate, dramatize, employ, illustrate, interpret, operate, practice, schedule, sketch, solve, use and write.
4.  Analysis:  In this level students basically analyze what they have learned. It is the goal of this stage for students to decide as to how they will approach their learning.  Doing so allows for more individual accountability.  At this level student appraise, calculate, categorize, compare, contrast, criticize, differentiate, discriminate, distinguish, examine, experiment, question and test.
5.  Synthesis:  This level requires students to merge information.  It requires them to take what they have learned and organize and arrange it.  At this level students assemble, collect, compose, construct, create, design, develop, formulate, manage, organize, plan, prepare, propose, set up and write.
6.  Evaluation:  This is the highest level of learning based on Bloom’s original theory.  Students at this level are asked to take accountability and responsibility for what they have learned.  At this level students appraise, argue, assess, attach, choose compare, defend estimate, judge, predict, rate, core, select, support, value, evaluate.
*Lori Anderson, a former Bloom student, along with other educational psychologist added this 7th level to accommodate the 21st century learner.
7. Create:  At this level students are asked to take a more creative approach to their learning.  This level requires them to design, construct, plan, produce, invent, devise, make
Classroom Use:
Bloom’s Taxonomy is excellent for developing and teaching levels of questioning.  I would, and continue to use it as a model for the types of questions should be asking in reference to their learning.  For example, I initially teach Level 1 ne type of questions during the lesson or lecture.  However, for classwork, I present Level 2. Homework questions are always Level 3.  Cooperative learning is an excellent opportunity for me to incorporate Levels 4-5 and Level 6 is excellent for test questions.  Doing so allows me the opportunity to constantly monitor not only what students are learning but what they are retaining.  Incorporating the different levels of questioning in the learning process is also an excellent way to measure my goals as a teacher, my approach to student learning and their interest or comprehension of the topic being studied.  Level 7 allows students to recreate what they have learned in a different medium.  I do this in the form of a project that is usually technology based and computer generated. Students have the opportunity to complete Wordle,  Gloggster, or WEBCASTS, etc.

Gagné's 9 Events of Instruction
Robert Gagné was known as a behaviorist.  His focus was on the outcomes (or behaviors) resulting from training. He identified the mental conditions for learning. As a result of this he created a nine-step process called the Events of Instruction, which link and address the conditions of learning.  The 9 Events of Instruction are as follows:
1. Gain attention- this requires the instructor to generate excitement and or a buzz about what is about to be studied. 
2. Inform learner of objectives- prior to what will be studied, it is here where the instructor tells the learner of not only what is expected, but what will be learned and or discovered.
3.  Stimulate recall of prior learning- this is where the instructor prods the learner to see if he or she retained any information from prior learning or experiences about the topic to be discussed
4.Present stimulus material- This can be through a funny story, a picture, a movie, a speaker, etc.  In most cases a bulletin board or display.
5.Provide learner guidance- as the student is learning, it becomes the mission of the instructor to ensure that they are proceeding in the right direction; that they are in fact heading in the direction of the original goals and objectives
6.Elicit performance- this is where you stimulate the learner to in fact learn based on the activities the instructor has provided
7.Provide feedback- this is where the instructor is readily available to provide comments and or suggestions as to how their learning is progressing or in some cases regressing. Feedback is given to ensure that again the learner is staying true to the goal and objectives.
8.Assess performance- this is really the last step in the process as it requires students to be tested on what they have in fact learned or discovered.
9.Enhance retention transfer-  this is by far the hardest part of the process because the instructor has to develop a method that will not only ensure that students have learned the material, but that it will be readily available for future use.
CLASSROOM USE
This model would be excellent for lower elementary use I believe and or remedial students.  It appears to be a process that suits the needs of more needy students; academic and or emotional.  

REFLECTION 2
In my opinion it would be useful for instructional design to address student interest in a particular topic or subject prior to instruction.  I strongly believe students are more productive if what they are learning is relevant to life.  A pre-learning or pre-inventory would be interesting to complete to see if students are remotely interested in the topic as opposed to simply diving in head first.  While I understand there are some subjects and content we must teach, it would interesting to see how many different approaches and or familiarity each student has with a particular topic.  Doing so would allow those that have a high level of familiarity to assist others.  Allowing them to do this would create higher levels early on in the process.   

REFLECTION 3
 I would use Situational Leadership to facilitate learning by first conducting a survey of what goals and or objectives we are trying to reach as well as the items that are on hand and readily available.  I would also conduct a survey as to the level of expertise in relationship to the goals and the objectives.  Information and people would be based on need and ability. Doing so would allow for working smarter and productively. Those that know become those that teach.  Those that do not know become those that learn from those that know.  With the intention of everyone becoming knowledgeable.  Everyone is empowered and appreciated for their contribution and not for their lack of knowledge.

4 comments:

  1. Eularia,
    I love the fact that you would first survey those who would be attending the professional development sessions to see what is actually needed! If only that were always the case! I have had to sit through so many sessions that had NOTHING to do with my classroom or what I would be able to use. Your approach is refreshing and I wish would be applied everywhere!

    You sound very adept at Bloom's and making sure you adequately address all of the levels for your students. I applaud you for that!

    After reading your Reflection 3, I couldn't help but see your previous post that followed! The title caught my eye and I had to read on! I too had that feeling after reading last week's assignment! WHOA! I had to read and read again! I believe my smarts also left around 30 which coincides with the time I became pregnant with my first child. Someone once said to me that your brains remain on the delivery room floor. After reading the assignment, I would have to agree with them! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate that you included how you would apply Bloom's Taxonomy and Gagne's Theory of Instruction in the classroom. You write that Gagne's Theory is better suited for "needy" students (i.e. those with intellectual or emotional needs). Hmmm...I don't know how I feel about that. As a Special Education teacher I practice the first 8-steps and because of my students' severe cognitive deficits I don't necessarily practice step 9; transfer of knowledge to go beyond the context of instruction. However when I taught higher functioning students with learning disabilities I did go through the 9-steps. In both situations my students did have intellectual deficts so it seems to agree with how you feel. However, I don't think Gagne wrote his theory to apply only to special-needs students. He based his theory based on cognititive information processing and effective teachers in the classroom. Even today when teachers are being evaluated for their teaching performance it would be in their best interest to apply Gagne's 9-steps in the teaching lesson. So in that way I feel that Gagne's theory can be applied to all students and both at the elementary and secondary levels.

    Your blogs provide a lot of food for thought. You are honest and open about your feelings on issues and I appreciate that. Thank you for another good read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading your classroom uses for the instructional models you chose. If I ever go back to a school classroom, I will definitely take the ideas you presented with me!

    ** I also appreciated the survey you suggested prior to presenting information at a professional development.**

    Great work! (I also read beyond, and really love your blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is impressive that your work is pretty clear that I can tell you have a great idea about how to express what you are thinking about. After read it all, I think I have a good understanding of Bloom’s Taxonomy and I like this model. First of all, it shows that why did it come out. And then, you introduced 7 levels of it, I am impressed that you concluded them clearly and succinct. At last, you put it into real life and made it alive. And you did the same thing to the Gagne’s 9 events for instruction. Actually, I usually believe that if it has more specific requirements it is easier to use. But this time, I prefer the first one, Bloom’s Taxonomy, because as you said it is perfect for some specific level student. And I agree with you that students are more productive if what they are learning is relevant to life. Since I have been a student for such a long time, I think I kind of understand a student’s felling. Compare to a deep useless knowledge, I would rather learn something interesting or useful in my life.

    ReplyDelete