Sunday, December 9, 2012

Section 6: "Getting a Job Doing What I Want to Do!"


I am currently serving as a middle school librarian. I would like to secure my library certification as well as an MLIS.  I am currently enrolled in the MLIS- School Certification program.  I was drawn to that particular program for several reasons.
First, I wanted to prove that it is possible to retain an interest in the library from a secondary standpoint, while maintaining many elementary school practices. Second, I wanted the opportunity to work with every student on campus. And finally, I wanted the opportunity to experience firsthand what it felt like to make a difference in the lives of a family via the library. Access to school libraries makes this possible. It's the access to information that also peaks my interest.

 At present my main concern is retaining my position.  Unfortunately, due to serious health concerns of both myself and my daughter I was not able to provide the attention that I needed in the spring to my courses as well as my inability to take courses in the summer. Because of this I run the risk of losing my position. So that is at the forefront of my mind. If I lose my position, I also lose my health insurance and having access to healthcare is my primary concern, not so much for myself, but for my daughter.  It’s not my goal or desire to be head of a library or department. I believe this would not allow me to make the type of impact I want.  I want to remain in the capacity of librarian for five years and then I would like to serve as a researcher as well as consultant for skills based adult education programs.  I would like to be the equivalent to the "reserves" when it comes to problem solving.  Somewhat of a "martial law" in failing secondary institutions.  At present the only thing preventing me from doing this is an MLIS.

I would eventually like to work in the higher ed. arena in adult or continuing education in the area of program development.  I’ve had the opportunity to start a GED program at my current campus through the library and realize adult programs are really how you change the quality of life in the home. Due to my interest in the family as an institution, I prefer to design and develop relevant instruction that assess need but also measures productivity. I would like to be the consultant that takes a look at what is currently being done and come up with a “best practices” approach.  I’ve had the opportunity to assess, design and develop adult and educational programs for local religious organizations in my area that focused on the family.  I was also able several years ago to develop a tutoring program for my campus with DISD that became a model for departments and teams.  My model increased parental involvement and student productivity by 75% within three months.   I have also been able to develop and maintain a higher education program geared towards students with learning differences that generated monies for the campus and increased student enrollment without having an advanced degree in the area. I also love secondary, so would welcome the opportunity to work with high school programs as well on a consulting basis.  My dream job would consist of going into high schools that are in Stage 4 and collect, interpret and present data and monitor the progress of the campus from start to finish. *That "marshal law" thing.  My old high school is in that situation and I would love to be the person sent my the state and or the federal governement to go there and shake things up.

As far as work is concerned, I like flexibility. I like concrete guidelines, but I also understand the importance of abstract thinking that comes into play with adult education and training. In most cases you have to see it before they get it.  I also like specific and defined goals in relationship to the overall outcome.  If it can be done it can be defined. If it’s defined it can be measured.  If it can be measured it can be productive.  If it’s productive it can make a positive difference. I also love knowledgeable people in the work place.  I think this has more to do with the fact of my belief that people who are passionate about what they do will learn every aspect of their jobs and in turn become resident experts.  Nothing beats learning something from a person that is passionate about. Passionate people always create more knowledgeable people. At the present I do not have a preference where I want work. I can work anywhere and with anybody. I am a chameleon. 

In reference to what I need to learn, I would say I need to learn more versions of programs that would make research easier as far as gathering statistical data. I need the ability to know exactly where to go for data in 10minutes or less. This is crucial to program development.  At present, much to my chagrin, the program has changed at TAMU-Commerce. Many of the classes I need will not be offered until the fall of 2013.  So this of course will place me at a considerable disadvantage when it comes to certification.  I was formally a student at Texas Woman’s University but switched because of the guidance provided by TAMU-Commerce.  Unfortunately, only 6hrs transferred and I am being required to take many courses I have already taken.  I wish there was a way I could take the certification test in January and then continue with the program until I completed it.  Having the certification under my belt would allow me to remain in my current position.  This was my plan prior to the health issues.

 I am currently a member of the Texas Library Association (TLA); Business and Professional Women’s (Tyler Chapter); American Federation of Teachers (AFT).  At present I attend TLA regularly. The benefits for joining these organizations allows me to stay abreast of trends in the industry, networking and simply to be a part of a think tank. 


2 comments:

  1. You have so much going on! I think it is great that you are determined to reach your goals, good luck!! I too believe that having flexibility, structure and knowledgeable people to work with you really can't go wrong! Having been a team leader for 10 years, I know first hand how important it is that the people you work with, specifically those you work closest with have these traits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the past two years I've become more involved with our local college's department of continuing education. We integrate some of their programs in our secondary courses, enabling our students to receive certificates of completion, some endorsed by local organizational societies, and continuing ed units that have the possibility of converting to college points or credits. You are so right about learning more from people passionate about their work. I call this "raw" knowledge as people speak from the heart when they're passionate about things. I agree, passion creates knowledge. I enjoyed reading your post. Hope all turns out well.

    ReplyDelete